Most Endangered Krueger- Scott Mansion New Jersey

Yearly preservationist across the country create a list of their local "most endangered" local buildings and locations that are historically or architecturally sigificant.  Reading through the list I thought I would feature a few.

Krueger-Scott Mansion- 1889.  All I can say about this one is WOW!  What grand Victorian architecture.  The home was known as the most expensive mansion built in Newark, NJ.  With 10,000 square feet and 26 rooms this home cost $250,000 to construct there was little expense spared.  In later years the home was owned by Louise Scott-Roundtree who is said to be Newarks first black millionaire.  She owned the property until 1982 when it was purchased by the city.  Since then it has been vacant.  There has been grants which restored part of the exterior and put a new roof on, but the interior needs renovation.









Interior photos © Copyright Anonda Bell 2008









Historic Images from NJ Historical Society. c 1890s



Great Video on YOUTUBE with more interior shots:

If you like what you see and want to donate to keep the projects going it would be most appreciated.   







Comments

  1. In the late sixties, early seventies Mrs. Scott rented rooms to college students as well as running the beauty school. It was so wonderful to walk through that front door! Many good people, some great parties!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay thanks for sharing! I hope someone fixes this place up soon. You bring up a good point which is very important to these houses, the people who enjoyed them. Think of the wonderful parties, families and lives that these places held that made the building alive. They aren't just buildings of wood and stone, but are in way for all those who enjoyed the building the a means to keep those wonderful memories and spirits alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if someone wanted to buy the house today, how much would it cost

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Gaby this house I don't think is for sale. I think it is still owned by the state unless someone can correct me. If you're looking for an old house check out a great blog:

    http://www.oldhousedreams.com/

    Here they have MANY old houses from all price ranges. Great selection and maybe you can find something that interests you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I grew up wishing I could go in that mansion just to look around and get the spirits of all the ppl that passed through those doors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this mansion still erected? I remember passing it as a little girl and wondering who could of lived in such a wonderful place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it is still there, but still in the above pictured state. I haven't heard of any new restoration efforts, unless someone can correct me? Let's just hope it is stable to prevent further decay.

      Delete
    2. I passed by it the other day and its still standing. I wish someone would fix it why let such a great work of art like that go to waste.

      Delete
  7. Matt, I used to live in NYC, and always loved this fabulous home when I passed it in NJ. It is a scandal that it is still vacant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts