Stairway Runner and wallpaper

Hello Friends.  I haven't been around working on the house since I last wrote.  I spent quite a bit of time touring the beautiful countries of Israel and Jordan.  If you haven't been a highly recommend going and viewing the amazing history and architecture for yourself.   After spending over a month in the middle east I hit the stairway project full force to get some things put together.

My first project after staining and finishing the stairs was to install dust corners.  I love these little things.  They serve a useful housekeeping function of keeping dust out of the corners of the stairs and they add a beautiful brass color on the stairs that shimmers in the evening with the lights on.

 
After these were in I began work on the carpet runner.  This runner I bought at my local Menards by the foot and began the process of installing it myself.  It was not as easy as I hoped it would be as my stairs have several odd angles on them.  Having never done carpet runners before it was a learning process to say the least.  The first section was east and the first 90 degree turn was easy.  It began to get tricky when I had to make a few other cuts to make a 180 degree turn and match the angles of the walls.  I have an angle finder, but cutting the carpet on these angles and have them all match up was a bit of a challenge.  It took me a few days to get it to where I was happy and to also have them centered on each section of stairs.  Did I mention each flight of stairs has a slightly different width thereby making it even more complex?  Well I figured it out and here are the results.  I did not use a carpet pad as this runner is surprising lush itself.  I also simply stapled the runner into the wood with an electric staple gun and longer staples.  You can't even see them when it's all said and done due to the thickness of the carpet.
 

 

My last project was trying to find a wallpaper that wouldn't break the bank.  Wallpapering the stairs which also leads into the upstairs hallway required around 800 square feet of paper.  Finding a Victorian wallpaper that I could get in this quantity and afford was an impossible task.  I looked for months and months to find something that was true Victorian, but I just could not justify spending several thousand dollars doing the wallpaper when that much money goes farther elsewhere.  I decided on a classic Toile which is made by Thibaut.  A wallpaper company which has been around in the US since the 19th century.  I choose a paper which is actually from the 18th century but I loved the color, pattern and so I decided to go for it.  This was a fun project to do, but also not so easy.  Since the long wall of the stairway was so tall it required me (yes just me) to paste and hang sheets that were slightly over 17 feet long.  This was the longest paper I had ever hung myself and well it actually turned out great with no bubbles and the seams nice and tight. 






Now I just need to put in the Newel Post light where the wires are hanging out.



I am also having my last stained glass window made.  This will go in the fixed window that doesn't have any treatments on it.  Once this is in it will really fill the space with beautiful light in the day.  I can't wait to show it to you!


Can't forget about my servant button!

So I am nearly done in this area.  Simply to put the newel post light in, put the stained glass window in (once it is completed) and hang my artwork.  Amazing to see this area nearly finished.  When I look back at the old photos and think about what this area was it seems impossible that it was that and now this.  It feels like a home and when I walk down the stairs I feel a grace and elegance that I imagine this area has not felt since it was built. 

 
Me at Temple Mount in Jerusalem


Little me in front of the treasury in Petra, Jordan.

Thanks for following and reading and all the good encouragement.  Until we write again!


If you like what you read on my blog and would like to contribute to the house restoration please click the donate button below. All donations will be GREATLY appreciated!! All donations go into the 1889 restoration and your help will get this home back to where it should be.  You will also be publicly thanked if you wish on a contributes page I hope to add at some point in the future. 


Comments

  1. Once again, all I can say is ZOUNDS!

    I remember your first posts on the staircase. The transformation just takes my breath away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross that means A LOT coming from a detail guy like you. Your place in looking fabulous and I can't make a journey one of these days to see your beauty. You are a true master craftsman !

      Delete
  2. It would be a THRILL to give you a grand tour of my house!!!!! You are always invited!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts