Those polishing touches on the stairs

Hello Friends,

The season has been busy for me although not too much on the house.  I have been working much of the season in Alaska and with being gone so much hardly a moment has been spent working on the house.  After getting the wallpaper and runner done I was having the stained glass window made and doing some touches on the newel post light.

With the missing stained glass window I had absolutely no idea what would have been there originally.  All I knew was that it had been there, but in an absence of any photographs I had to come up with one on my own.  I could have used one of the other Keller Glass windows to inspire me, but I had already done that in the parlor and I thought why not venture out.  So I found a photo of a window that was period to my house and had the premier stained glass company in the twin cities make the window based off a photograph.  It took nearly 4 months to have everything completed.

This was also not just a simple stained glass window.  Since I had purchased a new fixed window for this spot it wasn't as easy as putting one in a sash and installing it.  New fixed windows are basically flush with the outer edge of   rough opening of the window.  So I had a frame made out of oak for the side and I had the edge of it rabbited out to fit and then installed a stop.  With this done it gave the appearance that it was built into the frame of the window. 

So without delay.....

It was VERY hard to make it look and fit it so well.









And of course the newel post light!







And of course a bit of art up too.  Still more to decorate with but getting so very close to completing this.  I can barely remember how it started out so many years ago.

Stained glass window opening behind the wall where the door is.

Stained glass window on the left

Way before the railings and spindles were put in

Stained glass window right above.
 
 
With this all nearly complete I'll more than likely be working on the foyer, maybe some double front storm doors and who knows what else.  Sadly money is in always short supply so I can only go at a pace that my wallet can keep up with.   So if you think you can help feel free to donate below :)
 
 

Comments

  1. Oh my! The stained-glass window? The newel lamp? The PERFECT finishing touches! They make such a difference! Soooooooo gorgeous! I am soooooooo excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross. It is such a joy to see what this space has become after so many years

      Delete
  2. That window looks really great! Terrific work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The original couldn't have been any better than the window you had made, just perfect! Although, nothing can hold a candle to that chandelier...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all fits together so well. The chandelier is a piece of pride and joy. Especially from where it came from. I'm so glad I was able to beme in it back to life from the black mess it was when I first bought it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts