Fretwork alive again!

We have been having a nice warm spell here in St. Paul, MN after weeks of bitter cold.  I have been plugging away here on the foyer and my goal is to finish up the foyer in the next month or so.  I have custom milled matching trim that matches the missing original woodwork and this should be here tomorrow. Sadly it has been 2 weeks late which has made the process that much slower.  I need to put the trim in before I can move my radiator and then I can do the wallpaper.  As you may remember I bought this piece of fretwork way back in 2010, had it restored from the broken pieces in 2011 and then it pretty much sat in a dusty corner since then.  Every time I would see it I would imagine the day I would put it up.  Well that day came today!!!

 
Here are some before and after photos of the piece when I bought it and after I had a skilled craftsman restore the broken bits
 



 
The restored section.  Looks pretty darn good hu?
 
 
 
So in between the foyer and dining room is a large open area separating the two areas.  Originally I believe that there was a simple doorway into the dining room , but that was long gone and just a large open wall separated the spaces.   When I did the drywall in this room I framed the opening down a little to not only fit the fretwork but to also feel a bit more old house and not just an odd missing wall.  So last week I framed the opening in oak and today I hung the beautiful piece of wood decoration.
 




Ta Da!!! When my new old trim comes in you would think it was always here.
 
I did do one other little job in the house and that was to change out the parlor mirror.  I loved the mirror I had in there before.  A giant 1860s wood mirror with a little gold flourish, but I had always wanted a gilt mirror to go in the parlor.  Gilt mantle mirrors are VERY had to find in the Midwest so I was one night on an auction site and found a beautiful gilt mirror that I thought would fit PERFECT.  Problem was two fold.  I was bidding on a mirror while I was in Israel working and two the mirror was located in Pennsylvania.  Undeterred I WANTED this mirror and so I bought it.  A long process of getting it shipped in MN ended up being not cheap, but arrived fairly safely.  So I removed the old mirror (don't worry the previous mirror I will put in the library with the rest of the dark wood work) and I now have this beautiful gilt mirror in the parlor.  I am so in love...
 
Before
 

After! 
 
Enough for tonight.  Will update you when the trim comes to finish it up in the foyer
 


Comments

  1. Hello Matt, Impressive results as always. That gilt mirror was a great find, and I am looking forward to seeing the final installation of the fretwork with molding.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tony,
    I would look for a local wood turner or craftsman who can recreate missing pieces. Depending on your fretwork it might be easier to remove the piece to bring it to them. They can often turn new pieces on a lathe to match what was done originally. This might take a little work to find someone but anyone who carves wood or spindles I would think could put together a piece again. It might take a bit of work but it can be done. Hope your daughters home becomes more beautiful and stronger than before the fire.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts