Drawing Room Mess!

The parlor or the drawing room is always the most formal room in the house.  This room was for showing off your best and impressing your visitors.  Used often only for company.  While I never had this growing up, I know many of people that had a room like this, a room they were never allowed in or never used.  My drawing room on the other hand will be my main living space so no need to worry about that.  Here are a few shots right when I moved in:

 Nice drapes!

 Coal fireplace



Blue carpet.... lush!!!!

OK so the first steps were easy.  Take off the wallpaper and take out the carpet.  After that the room was fairly livable for the past 3 years.  After having it this way long enough the fun was about to begin.  These first step was removing a gross old accordion door that this room had as a door.  The pockets for the doors had been walled off, more than likely in the duplex renovation of the 1920s.  After removing this and drywall that had been put over the plaster on the wall I got a nice peak of some old wall papers and could see where the trim had been removed at some point.






Too bad they took all the trim I need that!!!!!

So now that the room had the proper door opening there was one small task.  This room connected with the other parlor on the opposite side.  It had been walled off for quite some time, again more than likely when the conversion occurred so one could use the other room as a bedroom.  I wasn't 100% sure if they connected or not so the best way to do it was to open the wall up right??


Turns out it was there and closed up at a very early date considering the knob and tube in where the door was.  The room then needed the popcorn ceiling to be scraped all off. Yuck! what a mess.  After that the entire room was skim coated to keep the plaster effect and feel.  Now it's a blank slate ready for trim, wallpaper etc.  I will update once I start working on this room this winter.   The only thing I did do was add 2 of the missing stained glass windows I had reproduced.

 Neighbor's window I copied
My new window!


2 down 3 to go in the whole house!!!


If you like what you read on my blog and would like to contribute to the house restoration please click the donate button below. All donations will be GREATLY appreciated!!









Comments

Popular Posts