How to get that authentic Victorian lock set on the cheap!

After work was complete on the 2nd floor and the doors were hung I needed knobs and lock sets, but I HATE the modern lock sets.  Mortise lock sets all the way for me baby! So I first knew that I had some of the old hardware from the house.  I had lots of the old porcelain black knobs and key plates but what was I going to do about the lock?  I thought about buying old locks and then having them keyed so I had keys for the rooms.  This task however proved to be cost ineffective.  While looking around on the Internet I stumbled upon a website that sold old inspired mortised locks!  Check out www.vandykes.com .  For only $30.00 each I got the locket, keys and a beautiful strike plate.  By purchasing new lock sets but using the existing knobs I had as well as the key plates I feel it was able to achieve a really authentic look for a good price and be completely functional!  Best part was since I put these locks on the entire 2nd floor the same key works for all locks!  What do you think of how it turned out?






Here are the other examples they sell.   Not a bad deal in my mind.  You would pay a fortune for old lock sets like these


If you like what you read on my blog and would like to contribute to the house restoration please click the donate button below. All donations will be GREATLY appreciated!!









Comments

  1. Looks great! And I think these small details make all the difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Round modern lock knows just wouldn't do it. Plus I love having a big ring of skeleton keys to lock up the house.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts