Newel Post Time!

As the progress on the house continues and the major construction projects in parts of the house winds down, it's time to add some fun decorative elements. The stairway is put together so hopefully this winter I will begin the HUGE undertaking of staining and finishing the woodwork on the stairs. One feature we decided to add to jazz up the stairs was a newel post light. Newel post lights were very typical in the Victorian era and why make my house any exception? So my dad wired the stair newel to hold the light. The light I purchased is of a woman and a winged cupid with a lovely cranberry colored shade. The lamp itself is spelter which most newel lights were made out of. No makers mark but a very fine cast item. This lamp was actually made as a portable table lamp rather than a newel light. One can tell this by the fact that on the back base is a key to turn the gas on and off. This key would have been connected to a gas tube ran from usually a chandelier. Since I figure nobody would mind or notice that this is actually made as a table lamp rather than as a newel lamp I felt it would be the prefect addition. Sadly the lamp has never been electrified so I will have to spend some money doing that, but once complete I know this will shine on the anteroom and will give a beautiful view from the street.



This is the newel post that she will be placed upon.  Can't wait to get that up!


If you like what you read on my blog and would like to contribute to the house restoration please click the donate button below. All donations will be GREATLY appreciated!!









Comments

Popular Posts