Ghost Signs

I'm sure nearly everyone has seen a ghost sign at least once in their life.  A ghost sign is a sign that has been pained on a building which is slowly fading away due to elements, neglect etc.  I find the really old ones from the turn of the century the most interesting.  Here are a few photos I have taken of some I have found.  Most are barely hanging on and I suspect won't be around for a long time.

These are my favorite by far.  Off of a building in my neighborhood of Dayton's Bluff it is one of the few remaining commercial buildings left that hasn't been torn down.  I hope this one makes it and I'm going to fight if anyone wants to take it down.





Here is the building for a 1910 publishing:


These two are in North Minneapolis on Broadway Ave:





 These last ones are in the warehouse district of Minneapolis.  Seems there are many more still down here and  hopefully they will remain but a few are almost gone.

 Beautiful Victorian commercial building with lots of integrity left!





Keep an eye out for ghost signs. You never know when they will just disappear!



If you like what you read and want to see this blog and projects keep going PLEASE feel free to donate something, even if it's only a little bit.  Every little bit helps on this restoration project. Thanks again!




Comments

  1. Some great discoveries there, more of these from the UK and beyond at www.ghostsigns.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice Sam. I enjoy the website you provided. A wonderful collection of signs from the UK.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts