Placing Trim

It's been a bit since I last wrote.  The weather has been odd.  We had snow then freezing rain and then more snow.  It was an absolute mess.  Now a week later we are in the 50 degrees and snow is mostly melted.  While that was all happening I have been slowly plugging away inside the house.  I have been a bit at a standstill for a bit here.  I have been waiting to put up the Lincrusta in the parlor (which I will be doing soon hopefully) and so I have had to complete the trimming out of the pocket doors.  This was a bit of a challenge to say the least.  As many people know working on these older homes much of the wood that was used at the time was 1", but wood does not come in 1" any longer, they cheat you out of 1/4" of an inch.  So to trim out the other side of the pocket doors I purchased some 3/4" oak and 1/4 oak, glued them together and that made the sides of trimming out the door (sounds confusing I know).  This process took a few days to get it all plumb, square and centered to match the existing that came came with the doors.  So after this I was able to simply put the trim around the frame and the header.  I think it turned out quite well.  Along with the pocket doors being trimmed I also used up the last of my vintage trim on the closet door below the stairs and the double entry doors.  Sadly I am not out of my nice vintage oak trim and for the rest of the house I will have to make it (which I explained how in an earlier post).  Here are some photos to show what's been completed.  Oh did I mention I had to do this all from behind a radiator that had been stupidly moved to be placed in front of the opening when the house was duplexed?  This will be moved this spring when the heating season has completed.

 Here you can see I also added another finial to the ceiling post that came down.  Too much?
 Pocket doors trim complete!!!

 Door under stairs.

Close up of rosette.  I love this pattern.  The rest of them in the home are more of a sunburst, however this one is a bit of a circular pattern.  So cool.  This is about the extent of the work lately.  Things have been slow and I haven't been progressing as fast as I would like, however considering all in all it's going well.  Now that all the trim is up I simply need to refinish the wood and stain and seal it which will complete the front half of the first floor!


If you like what you read and want to see this blog and projects keep going PLEASE feel free to donate something, even if it's only a little bit.  Every little bit helps on this restoration project. Thanks again!




Comments

  1. The extra finial is perfect!

    I love love love that you are so dedicated to bringing your house back...right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you well know, if you're going to do it, do it right!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts