Victorian Porch

Sorry readers about the delay in writing a new post. Sometimes things don't get done as fast as I would like. My job keeps me fairy busy and at the end of the day I am often too tired to even think of working on the house. I have however, been enjoying some of the warm weather here and have once again put up my famous scaffolding on the front porch roof to tackle the front gable (photos and info to come). With the nice weather I have been lacking any character for my front porch. Part of me hasn't wanted to invest much time or money into the 1920s or 1930s porch because, well frankly I would rather have a Victorian porch than a later, plainer porch on the house. I ended up breaking down and decided to get some nice porch furniture for the front.
                                                     My Czech Republic and French Flags

Front porches were really a staple of the American life and our history. They were our most public and private gathering spaces. Seldom a Victorian home was without a front porch. Porches were used not only for simply relaxing to watch the world pass by, but were also meant to be extensions of the house. Porches were furnished with wick furniture resembling what you might find inside the house. They were also furnished with rugs, cushions plants and the most elaborate planters money could buy. They were meant to be an oasis to escape the heat of the house, they were gathering places for friends and families and ways to interact with your neighborhood. They were used for sleeping and games. They were the center of life in warm weather. Sadly their decline came as porches began to be enclosed with first screens and then storm windows. People discovered their homes could sometimes be warmer if the front porch was enclosed and made into a 3 seasons porch. Radio and television came and the these inventions drew people more inwards and sucked up free time. Now it seems porches are simply decorations or ghosts. I have hardly seen any of my neighbors using their front porches. Traffic and television have scared people away from them. They seem to only to be used for decoration or a passing through area to get to the front door. Quite sad of the demise I must say, but I intend to bring my porch back, which brings me to the point of my story, I bought some porch furniture. I had been looking for the typical white wicker for the porch. The set of a chair, rocker and sofa that I had known as a child in my grandparents house. I had been searching for vintage, but of course did not want to spend a fortune. Seems people think they can charge close to $1,000 for an old and in bad shape set just because it is summer and it is "antique". I took my time to see what I could find and a few sets slipped by. I did however, become successful in my quest in finding an old wicker porch set with its original paint from probably the 19teens or 20s.


Can you believe that the wicker matches the house and trim color exactly?  What are the odds?  I think it was meant to be!  So I'll be dressing this up in the next few weeks/ months and will keep readers updated.  Just wanted to share a new addition to this old house.


If you like what you read and want to see this blog and projects keep going PLEASE feel free to donate something, even if it's only a little bit.  Every little bit helps on this restoration project. Thanks again!




Comments

  1. I just noticed how INCREDIBLY gorgeous the wavy shingles are in the gable! Zounds! Fabulous detail!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts