Work on the Front Gable.

Hello readers.  I have been gone for nearly two weeks from the blog and I'm sorry to have to say that I am no new blog posts until mid July, but I have good reason!  First the last few weeks have been full of work at my full time job and preparing to work on the front gable of this Queen Anne beauty.  I had the carpenter build a large deck on the porch roof.  I had to do this for several reasons, but mainly it is to hold the scaffolding level and secure on a sloped porch roof and to allow ease to move the scaffolding around when doing the carpentry on the top.  I'm really excited on the thought of finishing up the actual front of the house!  So with the deck built the scaffolding has been put up and time to examine all the work there is yet to do.  While this will be much work to restore, it is going to look fantastic.  The front gable has these amazing pattern cut clapboards (which I suspect I am going to be having to make many reproductions of these) and the beautiful arched windows.  Simple yet very elaborate.

My French and Czech Republic flags and the front boulevard garden is looking good! 



Now we can start to see the damage those asbestos tiles did.  When they nailed them up it nicked up all the gentle curves of the cut clapboards.

Trim aroudn these windows is the same profile that is on the other windows on the house only in a different arched configuration. Sadly very rotted.

You can see here that the arched windows aren't actually arched at all.  They are square sashes with only the glass section and the siding cut into the arch. 

Looking tough to save any of them.  I think I'm going to have to make a pattern of these and cut all new ones, unless someone has a better idea? Just can't figure out how to save them.  Piecing in the curves at all these points doesn't seem right.  Any ideas?



 It appears that that there was a little tin above the arched trim to try to keep water out, but didn't work too well.


MASSIVE chimney of the house.  Not in such good shape.

Turret crown view from front gable

View from the top

Looking the other direction over the house

 Roof lines


Trim of one of the arched windows removed.

That's the update around here.  I will update again in mid June as I am headed on a wonderful adventure so wish me luck.  When I get home there will hopefully more time to work on this big project I have just shown you.  Until then I will speak to you all soon! If you like what you read and want to see this blog and projects keep going PLEASE feel free to donate something, even if it's only a little bit.  Every little bit helps on this restoration project. Thanks again!




Comments

  1. The wavy clapboards are INCREDIBLE! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are unique aren't they. Sadly when the tiles were put up on the house they nicked off all the lower wave of the clapboards. I'm thinking I'm going to have to make a template and replace them all back to their true form

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts