How to hang Lincrusta Paper

Hello friends.  I haven't forgot about you, but I actually have been busy working away on the house with a fair deal of progress.  My last large project was hanging the Lincrusta wallpaper in my parlor.  For those of you that don't know Lincrusta is an embossed wall hanging with deep details.  It is actually very similar to a thin linoleum that goes on your walls or ceiling.  It is highly expensive (due to its complicated process and design as well as its durability) and is very fragile to work with  making it a wall covering that requires a great deal of patience and care to handle the delicate material.  It's only delicate while hanging and after it is put up, will be a long lasting design detail that will hold up well in high traffic areas such as stairways, halls and foyers.  The designs, styles and places to hang Lincrusta are endless from walls to ceiling it can go anywhere. With a bit of prep work and help you can turn any wall space into a true work of art.

I first ordered 2 rolls of the Amelia Lincrusta.  My plan was to use it as a border below the crown molding and above the picture railing.  Since the friezes that are sold in Lincrusta were too small to fit in the area, I needed to buy something larger which is how I choose this pattern.  I set up a large work table in the parlor to begin the process.  Before hanging the paper I cleaned the walls and had put 2 coats of primer up to ensure a smooth application.  Since I was hanging the Lincrusta vertically I had to cut the lengths into manageable sizes.  I cut them in 4 to 5 foot lengths. After cutting the lengths I had to cut the top edge to remove the excess material.  I did not cut the bottom edge as I had not yet hung the picture rail.  I wanted the top edge to go with the level of the crown molding and the bottom edge could be trimmed level to match the picture railing.  I cut the lengths and took a sponge damp with warm water and washed the back of the paper.  Doing this relaxes the paper and gets it ready to hang.  I put to pieces back to back and let them "book" for 20 to 25 minutes.

Linsrusta still on the roll.


After 25 minutes of booking the paper was ready to hang.  I used a short nap roller to coat the back of the paper with a special wallpaper adhesive used to hang heavier papers.  It is a clay based adhesive and worked very well.  Coat a good amount on the back of the paper.  Be sure to put enough on so that it won't dry out while you're hanging it, but not too much so that it is falling all over the wall while you are trying to put it up.  For extra adhesion  I did roller some paste on the wall too to make sure the bond was tight.  I positioned the wallpaper and was able to move it around to fit where it needed to go.  This is the toughest part in my opinion   The paper is very fragile at this point so you must treat it with kid gloves.  It is very easy at this point for the paper to bend or crack which can cause flaws to show up after completion.  After getting the paper onto the wall I used a dense foam roller to make sure it was on there really well.  This also ensures the corners are tight and any seams are lined up tight. Take your time on this part as once the paper and glue  dries there isn't another chance to go back and redo or undo any mistakes.  Complete this process through out the entire surface you are doing.  Take your time and make sure it looks great.  If you have a few small spots where the paper doesn't line up or your corners have a gap, don't fret as these can be filled later.  Once you hang all the paper fill and gaps, holes or corners with window glazing linseed putty.  Yes window putty! Since Lincrusta is a linseed based product the putty works well and won't shrink or warp like plain caulk will do.

Once the paper is up let it dry to 12 hours at least.  Next you want to take a damp rag of mineral spirits and wash the surface of the paper to remove any grease or paste that might be left over.  Let this dry for maybe 5 hours just to really make sure.  Now you're ready to put a base primer on the paper.  Use a simple primer and a small roller and depending on the size it should be done in no time.  Allow to dry and you're ready for paint.

The great thing about the raised designs on Lincrusta is that you can finish it in many different ways.  Just take one Google search for Lincrusta paint techniques and your mind will be boggled as to what type to choose.  I actually experimented with several different finished before I picked the final result.  I first tried to paint a small section with a base color (which would end up being the raised design color) and after the base coat dried, paint another color over the top and with a damp sponge remove the second paint color from the raised design.  After much consideration I decided against this because I felt with the Amelia wallpaper that it wouldn't turn out as nice as some of the other patterns would with this technique, so I simply went for all solid color.  I didn't just go for any old paint color, but I went for a gold metallic look.  The nice thing with metallic paint is that it gives a beautiful sheen when the light hits it.  You can achieve the same effect on the Lincrusta by using and paint that has a high gloss finish.  So I painted the whole paper in this gold metallic look which I think will really compliment the room and the wallpaper nicely.  Now I just need to hang the picture molding and hang the other wallpaper and I'll be done with the walls!  Here are few photos that show what it looks like painted.





So there you have how to hang Lincrusta.  A beautiful end result, but after a lot of patience and attention to detail.  This is one product that you really don't want to make a mistake on because of the expense, but will last your house for the next 100 years if you do it right and can be painted many many times.  So think about it in your entry way or along the wall next to your stairs, it will not get dented or dinged up and will give you many years of enjoyment and beauty.

If you like what you read and want to see this blog and projects keep going PLEASE feel free to donate something, even if it's only a little bit.  Every little bit helps on this restoration project. Thanks again!



Comments

  1. Is there a trick to getting all the corners to match the pattern? If you start on one wall and match the pattern until the last corner, what do you do if it doesn't match up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was lucky in my room in that there was a spot around the trim where I had to stop the Lincrusta and start again on the other side of the trim. I would recommend doing what you do when you wallpaper and your last seam doesn't line up with your first. The best advice I can give is to make the spot where they don't line up as hidden as possible. Maybe behind a door or drapes or in the corner opposite of the main entrance. No real easy way around it.

      Delete
  2. I am SO glad you posted this as it fit my problem with my 1876 restoration most closely HOWEVER I want to SPRAY PAINT my Lincrusta gold BEFORE I put it on the wall. What do you think of that? I just feel the gold spray paint is so much richer than anything I've found in a can. What are your thoughts on me having success with this idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everything with an old house is trial and error. The metallic paint I used I think it pretty close to spray paint richness. This is why I chose it myself. I couldn't tell you whether it would work or not, but I have to wonder if since the lincrusta is somewhat flexible will it crack some of the spray painted finish when being installed? Otherwise I can't see any issue with trying it. Maybe try a small sample first? Lincrusta isn't cheap (at least what I found) so it might not hurt to try before putting it up. You do your thing. Would love to see your results too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts