Windows and Bathroom Salvage

Hi Friends.  I know it has been far too long since I last wrote, but there hasn't been much happening at the house besides gutting.  Gutting while not glamorous or exciting is a dirty, dirty job, but lets you start with a fresh slate.  So as you may know I have been working in the library.  After gutting most of the room I discovered a window hidden in the wall.  Actually I didn't really "discover" it because one could tell that there was a window there at one time from the exterior.  Remains of the trim and a boarded up hole was still there.  It faces my neighbor's house, a mere 3 feet away. So while the view isn't much it provides a great improvement in light in the room, as well as cross breezes.


Who knows how long it was boarded up.  It wasn't plastered over, but it did have quite old drywall over it. Perhaps covered for 20 or so years.  So after a few hours of work the new window was installed.


Can I just say how happy I am to have this window in? Not only for the reasons listed above, but that it is the last 6 1/2 ft window to be put into the house.  These giant windows are expensive and heavy to put in so it feels good that it is done.  So now it is time to start insulating the wall and buttoning it back up.  Winter is sadly soon around the corner so I've got to move fast.

Adjacent from the library will be a full bath.  Currently is isn't even all framed in let alone ready for fixtures.  What do I do? I go on the lookout for vintage bathroom accessories for the room.  Isn't it me to just see the final product and quickly glaze over all the technicalities of creating a masterpiece.  But I found a few great, early vintage items to make the character of the bathroom complete.

Here's a great old sponge holder to go near the bathtub.  Just need to strip it and chrome it.  Shouldn't be tough.

Then I found this great soap dish and cup holder, but I need a beautiful cup to go in the holder.

I found this beautiful enamel glass that fit perfectly.

Will look great once chromed.  Now all I need are towel bars.  hmmmm..



I love these old towel bars.   Need a little paint removed, but they are so chunky and beautiful.  They are actually made of glass.  Can't wait to see these installed... probably not until next year.

So a few new little updates. I'll keep you all posted as things progress.  Thanks as always for following my blog.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts