All the Whistles and Bells

Well I am still here.  Having recently been traveling all around the south from Atlanta to Charleston, Savannah to New Orleans, I have scarcely had time to even be home, let along write here.  I did one evening, while sitting in my hotel room, take an updated look at the Library of Congress newspaper archive system Library of Congress Newspaper Archive Link

I have searched these before, but this time I tried some new search terms and had a fun surprise.  Well more than a fun surprise, a great surprise.



Here was an ad from 1894 discussing the benefits of some of the other houses of Keller Row.  I was first shocked to find out that the house indeed had servant bells! I have added them to my home, simply because I wanted to dress the house up a bit.   Here is a link about the buttons and annunciator box I have  Servant buttons and Annunciator

The second shock was that the house had speaking tubes.  How incredible! Then it clicked in my head.  While doing work in the library I found an odd tube going from the 2nd floor hallway back to the kitchen.  The tube was simply galvanized tin.  It wasn't  for gas I thought, but what could it be for?  Then I discovered the article above and it all clicked.   They worked by speaking from one end to another in an open tube. The cool thing was that they had a whistle, like a kettle on each end, which is the flap that you see in the photos.  One end could blow a puff of air through the tube and alert the other side with a whistle to open their end to speak.  How awesome is that?

View of the remains of the tube in the ceiling.  It went to the upstairs hallway and traveled the length of the house back to the kitchen.  I have yet to find where in the kitchen it ended.  Another find for the future.

I then began searching all about speaking tubes.  I found many great photos from one website:  Speaking Tubes











Speaking tube in a house in San Francisco.

I then began searching Ebay and every other site I could think of to see if I could find the mouth pieces.  Once I found the remains of one in my house, I knew they had to go back.  I then stumbled across a metal smith who had actually made a few for a client.  Master Metal Man  Unfortunately for me, it is rather labor intensive for the man to make them and it was cheaper to but more, but still expensive.  Perhaps if a few dozen of us went in together we could get some made? :)



So I now need 2 speaking tube mouth pieces and a floor key for my servant button.  So my house really did come with all the bells and whistles in 1889!!  Any suggestions?


So if you have an idea where I could find either of these fabulous Victorian contraptions let me know!

Since I have been gone traveling around I'll share a few photos...

Jekyll Island GA Live Oaks

 Oak Alley Plantation, Louisiana.  The house is lovely, but everyone comes for this view.

One of the squares of beautiful Savannah GA

Lovely house of St. Simon Island, GA



The estate of Biltmore located just outside of Asheville NC.  Really a peaceful place.

Longwood in Natchez MS.  The unfinished dream

Stanton Hall, also in Natchez MS and the interiors are spectacular!

Stanton Hall Parlor.


So until next time friends! 



If you like what you read on my blog and would like to contribute to the house restoration please click the donate button below. All donations will be GREATLY appreciated!! You will also be publicly thanked if you wish on a contributes page I hope to add at some point in the future. 



Comments

  1. This post made me smile broadly in sympathy. I, too, am desperately seeking speaking tube parts!

    In restoring my own Big Pile (1894), I discovered speaking tubes laced throughout the house. But — drat! — none of the mouthpieces were in situ. Drat!

    You wrote: "Perhaps if a few dozen of us went in together we could get some made?"

    So, count me in!

    I cannot IMAGINE finishing my restoration and not also restoring the speaking tubes to full use.

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ross,

      Glad I am not the only one looking for speaking tube parts. Now we just need a few more people and we can get some parts made. Why does dedication to these beautiful details have to be so difficult sometimes?

      I am always keeping my eyes out for parts. I will keep you posted and in mind if I find any new leads.

      Delete
    2. Ross,

      Did you buy the one off Ebay that is shown in the photos above? I couldn't quite splurge on the cost. Went for over $200. Worth it, but more than I want to spend now.

      Delete
    3. Hi Matt!

      Yes, I did get that one. I now have two. I need two more. The prices have been, indeed, scary. I wonder at my sanity!

      The first one I got is MUCH nicer (being CAST brass) than the one shown above. Still, I am thrilled to have them, and cannot wait to get them connected and see if the system works!

      Ross

      Delete
    4. Awesome! So glad someone got it who intends to put it into good use. Make sure you send me some photos when you install them. Would be great to see them up in your grand Victorian.

      Delete
    5. Sure thing!

      You can see my post on the subject:

      http://restoringross.com/1894-high-tech-speaking-tubes/

      Ross

      Delete
  2. Hi Matt!

    I got one! On eBay! But I was outbid on two more. Did u get them??????

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job Ross. How many do you need for your house? Nope sadly wasn't me. I have been away and haven't been on my game lately. Setting up a saved search for it right now. I see one went for under $50 oh my heart. Well, I'm going to have to keep a look out for next time :)

      Delete
  3. Hey! You travel to the COOLEST places! Can I be your valet?????

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any current interest in getting speaking tubes made? Or floor key servant call button?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might. Do you know someone?

      Delete
    2. Well, I was interested in possibly getting one made through the contact you listed above if you still had that group of people joining in together. I wasn't sure about the price range.

      What we really need is a floor key servant call button. We have something similar to this: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/99/9b/12/999b1254eacc4b0523201078e0294dae--the-floor-leveon-bell.jpg

      I don't know much about the floor buttons, but am I correct to believe this is incomplete? This is simply an anchor part to feed wire through to an actual separate button attached under the table top or placed on the floor, yes?

      Delete
    3. I did check with the man who made the examples listed about and I believe it would be close to $500 per mouthpiece last I checked. I really wasn't prepared to spend that amount and have just dedicated my time to keeping a look out for them on ebay.

      As far as the example you gave me a photo about it is hard to say what it is missing. The photo shows the cover piece. You would have to remove this cover to see if the mechanism is below this. If it is, then you would just need a some kind of push key like the drawing above. If it is not there then one would need a whole unit. If you look at my other blog post called "Calling the servants" it shows two examples of floor keys and the one I have which just sits under a rug and the wires are ran through the plate cover that you gave me a photo of. Not an easy journey to find these pieces I know!

      Delete
  5. Hey Matt: I finally got around to designing whistling speaking tubes! I know it's too late for you, but some of your followers might be interested... Look on Facebook for MasterMetalMan / MasterMetalMan.com. Thanks Dwight Bennett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dwight. They are beautiful! I am so happy you have created something that so many people seem to be looking for. I have found all I need, but I am glad you can offer new ones for other people!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a tube, and am noticing that when the lever is not pushed, the whistle cap doesn't quite lay flush against the mouthpiece and so doesn't whistle loudly. Any ideas for adjusting it to close tighter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would guess that either your mouthpiece is slightly bent so it's not sitting flush or that the internal spring to keep it tight when the lever is not pressed is broken/damaged. This is common as these little pieces are so delicate. I'm unsure of how to fix this. If you really want it to be loud, I would keep an eye out for another mouthpiece.

      Delete
  8. Hi: It's been a while since you addressed "speaking tubes," but maybe you can help. We have all of the original tin tubing still in place in a soon-to-be-landmarked 1907 house in Chicago. We've also got nice hardware at the one end of the tubing, in the 1st floor kitchen. What we need is the mouthpiece and whistle for the 3rd floor maid's room. I wrote the metal guy you referenced, but have not heard back yet from him. Have you heard anything else over the years about getting speaking tube hardware such as we need? Thanks Paul Wangerin paulwangerin@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts