Adding those Victorian Touches

Hey all,

I haven't forgotten about you, but how busy I have been! Been doing some painting and exterior work on the house, but mostly been traveling for work and thus have been absent from my work on the house.  I did however buy one piece for the house that adds a good deal of character to the parlor.

As many of you may recall this is how the parlor looked upon first moving in.


And the during:



And the mantle with a few of my knickknacks


Now searching for literally years, I was looking for a nice mirror to go over my mantle.  Something authentic, period and that would go with the decor.  Earlier this year I found a beautiful mirror.  I mulled around whether to purchase it or not for some time.  It was also several inches too tall to fit.  Finally after a long decision I pulled the trigger and bought it.  I knew the top crest that was too tall would have to come off, which was easy since it was fairly simply nailed on.  After quite a bit of labor and effort and recruiting several people to help, we got the 6 foot mirror up on the fireplace and attached it into the brick using masonry screws.  


 I reattached the top crest molding in a temporary fashion because that top piece of trim is too beautiful to not be up there.  I think it turned out quite nicely despite all the trouble it was getting it up there.  I am happy and think it adds so much light and character to my little parlor.

Until we speak again friends!


If you like what you read on my blog and would like to contribute to the house restoration please click the donate button below. All donations will be GREATLY appreciated!! You will also be publicly thanked if you wish on a contributes page I hope to add at some point in the future. 




Comments

  1. I love your parlor. Your Mirror is Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. It is starting to come together just as I pictured it in my head, so many years ago

      Delete
  2. Wow. WOW! The before/after is incredible! STUNNING! Congrats!

    And can we see more images of the room? Please, please?

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ross,

      Glad you like. How is your project coming along?

      I'll post some more when I get back home. I'm eyeing a beautiful bookcase to use as my entertainment center. We will see how that progresses!

      Delete
  3. Where did you get your lovely wallpaper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wallpaper is made by Nowall. Priduct number cs27365. If you do a search of that product ID you can find several retailers that sell it for not too much.

      Delete
  4. You did a nice job. I hate 1990s overly floral Victoriana. I really love your freeze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not a huge fan of the flower wallpapers either. I know a bit over the top but I love it. Glad you like it too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts