Some trim here

Well after getting up my beautiful fret work a little bit of the trim arrived.  I had to have several profiles milled to match the original.  I had them mill the plinth blocks, door trim, corner blocks and crown profile that sits on top of all the door and window openings.  After waiting 6 weeks they came  to deliver the trim.  I was so excited....until they told me it was just the plinth and trim profiles.  I'm really annoyed, but I was able to get a little bit done.

With the fretwork in I could put the plinth blocks in which means I can finish the baseboards in the vestibule.  I also put up the trim on the sides and top of the fret work.  So I got a bit of a start. 





Old and new with exact profile.  So worth the cost!
 
Now while I wait for the rest of the trim I need to work on moving this radiator.  Currently it blocks the pocket doors to the parlor and it blocks the front doors opening all the way so over to the other corner it will go.
 
Radiator to be moved

To this corner which should fit perfectly.
 

 
Now I just have to figure out how to cut the crown molding that goes on top of the trim and the picture rail at this weird spot under the stairs.  It has 2 angles that is comes down on.  Ideas as to how to figure this one out?  I have an angle finder but haven't fiddled around with it much on this odd spot.

So more to come on working on this foyer.

Comments

  1. Yay I'm very happy for you that a little bit has been done... this looks so good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's looking great! I haven't seen jack-mitered casing with partial-width corner blocks like that before. It looks nice, and is unique.

    What kind of finish are you going to use on the new trim? Is it a matching species to the original trim, or is the original a faux painted finish you need to replicate?

    As for the moulding on top of the door header (I believe you mean to call it cornice moulding), I've done these kinds of angles several ways. I've done the technical approach, carefully measuring the angles, calculating how to set up the saw, etc, but then inevitably, it isn't quite right anyway (due to things not being quite square or consistent. Lately, I've evolved to do some quick rough estimate of the angles, and then cut it on scrap wood, and use trial-and error to refine the cuts until I get the compound angles right (it doesn't have to be even a profiled piece, often a rectangular stock of ordinary lumber similar dimensions is sufficient). Once I have the angles figured out, then I cut the actual finish moulding. Usually, there's only one end of a piece that needs the tricky cut, so I'll do that one first so I still have some extra length to re-cut if needed, and then once that joint is perfect, I'll make the easy cut at the other end for the return, or whatever normal cut is needed there.

    Finally, looks like a good plan for the radiator. The only pain is patching the floor, but it looks like you're so close to the corner, it's only a few boards to pull and weave in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts