Foyer is alive again

Hello friends! We are getting closer to spring and a lot has been happening over here in the old Hugo Schlenk residence.  A measureable amount of progress has been made here and nearly as much as I had envisioned and the end of last year.  My goal after a busy work season was to complete the foyer and work on getting the library further along.  I can say now that my foyer is looking just as I had envisioned it so many years ago.  Looking back at a room that is really not used all that fully.  It is a room to welcome visitors from the vestibule and into the home.  An area where we hang our coats, put the bills and mail and pass through between the front doors and parlor.  For those of you that don't recall this was a closed off room before I restored the stairway last year.  The room now is proud to welcome visitors into the home. Let's take a stroll down memory lane looking what is was shall we?

 
Here is looking from the dining room into the foyer.  That old ugly door with the curtain was before I found salvaged double doors to put back in.

Stairway hidden behind this wall and ceiling, but showing the complicated angled ceiling.


From the foyer looking into the dining room

Stairway being opened up to how it once was
Gosh this was a huge mess.  The amount of rubbish that came out of this area was impressive.

Stairs in, but not much else


Looking into the foyer
Looking from the parlor to the stairs
 
AND NOW....................................
 






Complete with pushbuttons and servant call buzzer.


This room has 3 types of wallpaper.  This is what I used above the picture rail.  All in hues of green.  Victorian style wallpaper that one can afford and one likes is so hard!


Chandelier gives off wonderful shadows





 
After all this work I'm exhausted!  I think it turned out ok don't you?
 

Comments

  1. Yes it is more than okay...It's wonderful!! Yayyyy!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy dance it's all done :) thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Comparing the before and after? You did an impressive job! Congratulations. Your place is becoming more and more a much-loved home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes every bit of blood (surprisingly a lot ), sweat and tears have made it feel more like a home with its personality. A VERY loved home. :)

      Delete
  3. Been following the blog for a while Matt, I'm always floored by your incredible work! You have such great taste, it's so nice to see a home like this truly brought back - to a point where if the original owners travelled in time to your interior circa 2018 they'd probably just think "hmm someone else lives here now," and not "my goodness what the heck happened to interior design in the century or so after us?!" That's always been my aim for my home too :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rene THANK YOU! I love how you put it into perspective if the original owners came back. It does give me that warm fuzzy feeling inside to think that way.

      Delete
  4. Matt, how high up the wall is your picture rail? Renovating a 5000 square ft victorian that was turned into apartments. Needless to say all detail was stripped. Your house is looking great. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to check when I have a moment. I believe it is around 84". Some of this is guesswork since all my picture rail in the 1st floor is missing. I had to guess a little and decide on a visual level that I was happy with.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, you are doing a fantastic job. My house goals...Matts house. LOL

      Delete
    3. Thanks Rick! I know my style isn't for everyone but I love living in my little jewel box...even if it does cause me to go insane...or bankrupt....or both

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts