The Library Begins

Winter is here in Minnesota.  The days are short, cold and the sun isn't seen too often.  We have a pretty good quality of life here in this state, but I have to be honest and the lack of sunshine really is a drain in these winter months.  I could deal with the -30 degree temps and excessive snow if we just had sunshine more often, but sadly this I guess is not meant to be.  So with this lack of light I find that I must be productive to avoid becoming bored in this giant project house.  Winter is the time to begin the minds creativity.  This winter I have decided to focus on the library and make some progress.

Let's go way back in time shall we?  The library sits on the other side of the formal parlor and just next to the dining room.  I call it the library because this is what I will use it for, however I suspect it's original purpose was as the family or informal parlor.  It was originally connected to the main parlor buy just an opening, but was closed up at some point.  I suspect it closed up when the house was duplexed and it was able to be made into a bedroom .   I only discovered the two rooms were originally connected when I was working on the parlor and removed some old lathe and plaster to discover a closed up opening. 



The library itself was not an awful shape per say, but there was nothing really special about it.  It had the original fireplace and tiles which is absolutely stunning, a few bits of old trim on a few walls and the old pocket doors and another door leading to what used to be a small closet.  The room had one window that was missing, closed up for whatever reason and it also had a dropped ceiling which made the room feel smaller. 

Opening up the old window opening.


Drop ceiling being removed.  Fun, but gosh so, so messy.

About 4 or 5 years ago the windows in this room were installed and the room was gutted down to the bare walls.  I insulated I, put plastic up and this is how the room stayed for the past 5 years; a shell.  A room that was sad, empty, cold and storage rather than a main room on the 1st floor as it should be.  I got to the point where I was ready to tackle this room and begin to bring back the beauty. 

 
All gutted and ready to go.
 
This spring of 2018 I was able to get the room back to a state with walls, WALLS.  I cannot tell you how excited I was to have WALLS after having a room sit unfinished for 5 years.
 
 
 With the walls back in and all taped and mudded and primed it was a blank slate and ready to begin.  I was able to reinstall the original trim that I had which was a few pieces of baseboard and trim around the single door.  The rest of the room had all the trim missing.  I went to my local lumber yard and had them custom mill trim to match the original.  This included plinth blocks, casing, trim crown headed and my starburst corner blocks.  With a bit of work it has all be installed as to how it should have been in 1889 complete with picture rail.



Looking into the parlor.  The rooms are connected again!



 
I should note that connecting the parlor and library was very exciting, but a HUGE challenge because when they closed up the two rooms it seems that the floors may have been changed or re-laid too because I intended to weave in the floor board to make a seamless match.  This was not possible as the floor boards did not match up and so I have to cut an exactly straight line to clean up the joint and lay new floor boards in the threshold.  I was so frightened that my cut would not be good enough and that I ended up buying a new plunge saw, a really nice plunge track saw that would ensure the cut was perfect.  I ended up buying a Makita and it cut the joint like butter.  I could not be more pleased. 

 
Once the floors are refinished it will be a seamless transition. 
 
I also installed the trim on the parlor side, but had to finish it all before I put it up since this room already had all the wallpaper and such.  It was a challenge to try to match the finish up on the new trim to the old, but I think it turned out OK.
 
Same opening where I found the rooms had been connected.
 


 
With all the trim in I have one more big project that I have to complete in the library before I begin to finish the woodwork, but that will have to wait for the next post.  In the meantime I also put up my holiday decorations as usual to make it feel a little more festive in this construction zone.
 
Feather tree all up






 
Until next time friends.  Talk soon and can't wait to show what I'm up to next!!!
 

Comments

  1. Hello Matt, The library is looking good! If I owned a house like that, almost every room would probably end up being a library. By the way, how many rooms do you have in a "presentable" state now?
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim. I have all the 2nd floor finished and livable and the first floor I still have to do the bathroom, diningroom and kitchen. So I'm getting there. The library will be a huge step forward. Wish I could go quicker but you know how it goes. I suspect next winter will be the time I do the diningroom. The kitchen will be a large undertaking since it will require removing the kitchen on the 2nd floor. I dream of the day the interior can just be "finished". Maybe that day will never come. After I finish the diningroom I could in theory have tole floors done. This of course would require everything moved out and at the same time i would get the radiators sandblasted and repainted. It comes, step by step. I'm just excited to have a proper office and a place to store my books. I've got too many in boxes in the attic that need to be proudly displayed.

      Delete
  2. That looks really good! I'm impressed at how you matched the finish the the millwork so well. Having had to do quite a bit of that myself on our last house, I understand the challenge!

    I'm excitedly awaiting the remaining project in this room. Perhaps it is moulding of some sort at the ceiling, or on the ceiling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seth how did you get inside my mind? Guess you'll have to wait to see what I plan. 😀

      Delete
    2. Well, the classy crown/cornice molding in the parlor gave me a clue...

      Delete
  3. Oh! How exciting!

    I love that you had the missing trim replicated. The right trim makes all the difference!

    On my 1894 house, I learned that picture rail of the period (and your period) would NOT have matched any adjacent trim, but was instead selected to complement the wallpaper, and was installed by the wallpaper hangers!

    The picture rail would have had a rich gesso relief, and been either glided or with a two-tone color finish.

    Congrats!

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ross I had NO idea that the picture rail would be installed along with the wallpaper. That's really a fascinating fact. My original picture rail did not really match per say the trim so that makes sense now.

      You just know everything don't you :)

      Delete
  4. I used to live in the area along with my grandmother (831 E. Fourth St., and yes I hate what the 'new' owners have done to the place) and I love what your doing on this house. It is amazing, I hope you find your porch photo someday. Just wondering, do you know who the architect of your home was if so who?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi fellow neighbor! It's so nice to hear from someone who knows my area :). I know the house that you lived in and it is a pity it isn't loved on the exterior as much as it could be. What a shame as it is a really beautiful house.

      The architect who did all 8 houses on my side of the block was Edwin S. Radcliffe (son of the famous Abraham Radcliffe) So much is know about the father but very little is known about Edwin. I have considered collecting more information as to other houses Edwin designed but I guess that will have to wait until I have the time.

      Delete
    2. It is a shame, the interior was great too. A wonderful main entrance hall, all oak wood still unpainted, with a colorful stain-glass window and a full door mirror across from the entrance door. Which was a closet that had the original wallpaper inside.

      In the basement, was still a full canning cellar, wash area, and although the coal chute was long gone as that side of the basement had to be replaced. It had the original boiler, with a 50's gas burner placed where you used to shovel the coal. It was a monster and no matter what Grandma never wanted to be rid of it for a more efficient model, because she was convinced a new one would break. But towards the end there, we did replace it with someone a a tenth of the size, it broke the next winter, and she dragged my uncle in and gave him hell.

      On a side note, you made mention of the loss of the building that once stood on Maria Ave. and 3rd Street. I remember the day in 1993, when it came down... Well up. It had a gas leak and it killed two people when the building exploded shaking the out house. Out of respect it was determined to make the ground a community garden as it was the worst thing that had ever occurred on the Bluff. Least till the next when then the Rayan and Jones incident occurred at Sacred Heart and across from the old Harding High School. I lived on the during the Bluff's most... interesting time.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and memories. I've been here since 2005 and during the past 14 years I have seem some good improvements in the area. I have also been around for some awful things too. All in all I am happy with where I live now. I think Dayton's Bluff is a special spot with countless friendly faces and great old buildings.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts