The library gets Closer!

My last post was in December and I can't believe it has been this long!  As I write this I have to reflect back on these past 7 months.  Winter in Minnesota is the PERFECT time to focus on your interior projects because you don't always want to spend that much time outside.  As I wrote last time I was finished with a great deal of trim and wood in the library and I left you hanging with what I wanted to do with the ceiling.  I had a dream of what I wanted to do for a long time and now was my time to create  it .  I decided I wanted to build a box beamed ceiling to add more wood and try to make it feel a bit more masculine.  So it begins.  I had never built a beamed ceiling before and figured it wouldn't be so hard. 

I started by deciding on the pattern I wanted.  I knew I wanted the beams to intersect at 4 points so that I would have 4 smaller lights in the beams and one fixture in the middle of the room.    So I had the design I wanted and by a LONG process of measuring, centering things and of course realizing that NOTHING is square, level or straight in an old house I decided where it was all going to go.  I used some inexpensive boards to make the grid first and screw them into the ceiling joists of the ceiling and make everything solid.  After the grid it was a process of making the beams in oak, nailing them in and then trimming everything out.  I guess I wish I took more photos during the process, but I am guilty of forgetting to do that always.  So here are a few of the beamed building process. Let's just say the tiny triangle wall above the fireplace was pure hell on am amateur carpenter like me.






After building the beautiful ceiling with endless amount of oak I was ready to stain everything to match up with the old.  Just before I stained everything I tried to pick out the wallpaper (of course you know I love wallpaper in this house) and make some mock ups of what I wanted to put in the room.  It was a well decided splurge with all these patterns.   This brings us roughly into early Feb of 2019.








And now onto staining, sanding, shellac everything.  My dad and I put 3 coats of it on everything that was new.  We tinted the shellac to get a big darker to match the original woodwork in the room.  Remember I had to try to match a lighter mantle and pocket doors, 1 darker door to the future new bathroom and 2 large pieces of baseboard and baseboard cap that was quite dark even after trying to clean it to prepare it for a new coat of shellac. This took some time as you can imagine to sand everything and stain and finish.  This brings us to end of March.

In the end I think it turned out pretty well.  Just when I am ready for wallpaper I am called away for work.  When professional work begins all work stops on Keller row. 





Now onto the wallpaper! I do NOT like wallpapering ceilings. This one had 9 panels and plus what was above the picture rail and then the walls.  To make it even more complicated the space about the picture rail was tall, so I couldn't just find a single border to fill the space.  Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately I had to create my own border with other smaller borders.  This was a major wallpaper undertaking in this room with endless patterns and pieces  to make it all fit together in my head.





Luckily I kept the scaffolding in the room on wheels which made doing the ceiling so much easier.  With wallpaper done it's time to actually furnish the room!!!!  I think this is like my absolute favorite room.  It's so cozy and so rich I just love everything about it.

Corner looking left into the parlor.  This shows my 1930s bar cabinet.

The mirror that I used to have in the parlor now fits perfectly in here with the color!

No artwork up yet but another corner coming together.

Floor to ceiling faux silk drapes with my bookcase packed with all my books that have been in storage for YEARS!

My office desk with working c. 1911 phone.  It works and is all hooked up.  Sadly the only people that call me on the house phone is telemarketers.


Looking into the library from the dining room.


Showing more of the ceiling.  I have my light in the middle and matching smaller fixtures covered with beaded shade covers in the intersections of the beams.
I just LOVE how it all turned out.

A few chairs I am trying out.  Why is the fireplace covered with plastic?  Ahh that answer will have to wait until the next post. 
 
So the library is nearly finished. I am just so darn happy to have an office where I can set up my computer and do my work.  I can't wait until winter when I can cozy myself up in here and relax and read and watch the world go by! 
 
I had to make a photo old time.  It looks like it could have been taken when the house was built doesn't it?

Comments

  1. Hello Matt, Your finished library is a marvel, and so are you for completing all this fine workmanship. It is truly a comfortable and welcoming room.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. It's crazy to think this room was a gutted shell for so many years and to think I did this all myself and now I can enjoy every second of it while I'm home. Winter can't come soon enough to cozy up in this room

      Delete
  2. What an amazing job you've done! The ceiling is truly wonderful. It make my neck hurt just thinking about wallpapering it, though. A quick question--the ceiling light fixture. Is it original to the house? We have two in our 1886 Victorian. The previous owner restored one, and the other is still coated with paint--chains and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a fellow Saint Paulite, your posts make me especially happy. Your work has been and continues to be amazing. Keep it up! ����

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SJL. Thanks for your kind words my neighbor. We need to keep these old beauties alive in our special city. Sometimes we forget about all the good we have here but I really love it despite its many problems. Thanks for the encouragement and keep it coming. Lord knows I need it :)

      Delete
  4. Stunning! All of it. The ceiling, cross beams, lights, choice of wallpaper complimentary contrasting patterns, is magnificent! You have excellent reasons to be proud!!
    Thank you for sharing your painstaking journey of what dedicated craftsmanship can accomplish. 👏 Bravo for a job well done!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A labor of love for sure. I have been a bit slow lately and need to start on the next big project. but sometimes life has a way of delaying you. I really appreciate the nice words and encouragement.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Matt. I just recently came across your blog, and as a fellow St. Paulite living in an old home, it's been amazing to go through your posts and see all the work you're doing. It's inspiring me to learn more about the history of my home and residential architecture. This room is jaw-dropping. The way you combined the wallpapers is fantastic, and that ceiling is just beautiful. In one of your photos above, there's a sort of gold-colored shelf on top of a radiator. Is that a purpose-made piece that fits on the radiator specifically or just something handy you placed there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Theresa, thanks for your nice words and a friendly hello neighbor! The cover is an antique cast iron radiator cover or topper that I bought at a salvage place. I've seen them at Bauer Bros in Minneapolis or ebay occasionally. It's all pierced on top as you can see so it doesn't block too much heat in our cold winters

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts