Meet My Gable Balcony

Hi friends! How are you all holding up?  We are in the midst of the Covid-19 virus and so many of us are being told to stay home and only go out when only necessary.  This for me personally is a HUGE problem and also a blessing.  The problem of it for me is that I am not out of work.  As someone who works and makes their living from tourism this whole ordeal has hit us very hard.  Nobody is traveling now and hence I have no work.  It comes at an especially tough time because I have not been working since October 2019.  Typically work April - October and the other months I am laid off because I am a seasonal worker.  So I have been off for some time and now when I am anxious to get out, see the world and begin my work again.........well everything as you know it is on hold.  So this makes it very tough.  I'm not dwelling on this or trying to worry about it.  I am seeing this time as a blessing, as an extra gift of time to get projects done around the house.  This makes me more at ease with the situation when we have so many other worries.  I imagine many other old house owners are like me in this time of having to be stuck inside; using it as time to get projects done as we can.  I am working on my 1st floor bathroom which was to have been finished this winter (that did not happen, not even close) and on days when the weather has been warm and sunny I have been anxious to be outside and enjoy the sunshine.  So being outside I thought I would work a bit on the gable balcony.  It's the one part of the house that was left nearly completely intact after building.  The old wood was left alone, never changed or damaged and it was preserved fairly well on the interior of the balcony.



The outside of the balcony was completely destroyed which leaves me to imagine what used to be there, but the inside is so deliciously original.








So I have been scraping and prepping all these old surfaces to get primer, the first time in I imagine over 60 years.

One coat of primer and some paint on the ceiling:






If I compare my balcony to the other two turreted houses they have whimsical unique qualities.  The middle house with the tower missing has this part covered and extended into a kitchen.  That exterior is covered with old siding tiles so I imagine it is either under there, or completely hidden.  We may never know.  The other corner house has a lovely gable balcony that is unique and also shares traits that all the houses do.  Look at the sunburst designs on it.  Most of the houses have this sunburst design.






I just love the designs on this one.  It seems to be fairly untouched too.  So let's see what I can get done on the gable in the next few weeks shall we? 

Comments

  1. Wow, that is a cool feature. I've seen plenty of Victorian juliettes and balconies, but don't think I've seen one quite like that before.

    Do you think the exterior detailing shared thr theme of your front gable, or do you suspect it was unique? Does comparing the side and front gables of your neighboring houses give you any clues of that? Are there any traces of shadow lines, water stains, or nail-hole patterns in thr sheathing that may also offer clues?

    I'm excited to see what you come up with for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Matt, Your recessed balcony adds so much to the Queen Anne detailing of your house. It looks so clean in the photos, but I wonder if it doesn't attract leaves, squirrels and things like wasps--in other words, is it a high-maintenance feature?
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely feature but does have a few problems. It's a flat roof which is a disaster for the MN climate. It can attract piegons to mess all over it. I have put netting up to keep birds out. Really it's a pretty but useless feature.

      Delete
    2. Doesn't that describe about half of the defining details of Victorian architecture? "Pretty, but useless"

      :-P

      Delete
    3. Yes! Haha. I love pretty but useless, but I want it to be low to no maintenance. When I fix something I want it to stay fixed... at least until I'm dead. Lol. Sadly old houses dont often work this way

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts