Preservation Good Deed of the Day

 I follow many salvage groups and have researched and read about countless mansions throughout the world. Somehow these structures put their photographic images in my mind, filled away for whatever reason. Literally I have seen thousands and thousands of historic images and if I see something relating to them again, I can usually retrieve in my brain where I saw them. 

 Today on one of the salvage groups I saw a posting for these fantastic columns for sale. I knew I had seen them before and my brain went to work. 10 minutes later I knew where they were from. An amazing 19th century mansion in New Jersey that is currently being restored. I've never seen this building in person, but it's elements are so striking they stood out. Something didn't strike me right so I contacted the organization that is restoring the mansion asking them if they were selling architectural elements from it. They said NO! That these had been removed without authorization and that they would do the necessary steps to retrieve them and put them back in their rightful place. It makes me so happy to know they will be returned to their rightful home and enjoyed by the public where they were built into over 100 years ago. Some days you can have a great preservation win. Seems this is one of those days.





Comments

  1. Good for you, Matt! When I saw the pictures, I was downcast that this baroque beauty was apparently coming down. Glad to hear differently!! Would you share where the mansion is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a fantastic 19th century beer baron's mansion in New Jersey. It has been owned by the city for many years and faced a great deal of neglect in the past few decades, but it is being revitalize to be used as a space open to the community. I'll share more information once I know the columns have been safely returned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharp eyes, Matt! It is amazing how much detail our brains can memorize. I hope you will give us some links to the house so we can see the current condition and follow the restoration.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt I have a few goodies that are sitting in my basement that are victorian. From tiles to a brass push plate to lions head clawfoot for the tub. Door, etc. My place is called La Sienna in New York. 347-664-2860

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! What will you do with them if you don't need or want them? I have always thought of making a network for sharing our extra salvage we don't use so that it can go to good homes.

      Delete
    2. I agree. It is a great idea. I do not see it as giving them away but rather being adopted into it's new home. So it must be a person who understand the value and time that went into these glorious pieces.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts