The landing is finished!

In my last post I had begun building the lower part of the stair landing.  If you missed all that work you can find the previous post on the main page or by clicking here:  Building the Landing

I am so happy to report that I have completed my GIANT project.  I got the railing milled to match the old railings, put the spindles in and began the awful task of staining everything to try to match up to the old.  While it isn't perfect I think it turned out pretty well.



 First set of staining
 
 
 





Please be assured the shadows make the finish super blotchy, that is not the case :)

So now to get the stained glass made for this space and wallpaper and then a carpet runner.  I've been having a hell of a time finding brass stair rods to hold the carpet down that aren't costing a fortune.  Since I need around 30 of them I need something not super expensive.  Ideas?

Comments

  1. WOW!

    ZOUNDS!

    GEEZ!

    Matt, I am dazzled!!!!!!!! You are incredible!!!!!!!!

    All your fine work just takes my breath away. And the end product looks like IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THERE!

    Wow. Congratulations!!!!!!!! I am gobsmacked! The images make my heart sing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ross. How has your stairway restoration been going? Did you need to replicate any missing spindles or railings?

      Delete
  2. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zoroufy-Plated-Inspiration-Collection-Tubular-36-in-x-3-8-in-Brushed-Brass-Finish-Stair-Rod-Set-with-Round-Finials-15854/204188993

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these but would prefer to pay like half that. I would need 17 sets which is starting to get too expensive in my opinion

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous !! I just found your blog via Ross's blog... I've taken a day or so of intensive reading to try and get caught up. Fascinated with your work and also loving your compilation of mansions present/past. What wonderful work you are doing both with the restoration and the history you are preserving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Laura. Thank you! I dearly love Ross and I am so happy that you have enjoyed my and have enjoyed comparing mansions to then and now. I have a few more to do, but when to find the time is always my challenge !

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts