I AM CRAZY! PROOF EXISTS HERE

 Hello my friends.  How did this summer find you?  I hope productive, fun and going in a positive direction.  5 months have passed since I last wrote.  I wish I had more to update with regularly but not only has there but not much happening in my 1889 Victorian Restoration, but it has become clear to me once again that I go in spurts of energy and production and then to hibernation or floating elsewhere in the world.


The summer for me has been good.  Hardly any...well no that's not true, NONE of the summer has been spent working on the house.  I spent much of the summer working in Alaska which was great to return to work for as you can imagine very stressful in the new world we live in.  Then after I finished my extended time working in Alaska I spent some time in Europe recharging my batteries so to speak.


While I didn't get much done. I still troll the internet for things I think I need (Even though I don't) and but things I want (but don't really need.  Part of my obsessive collecting habit)  Long story short I have been on the look out for my kitchen ideas that will probably be done in about 2000 years at the speed I am going at now.   I knew I wanted an old stove and so I found lots of inspiration images and then the obsession grew from there.

This was my first inspiration that I really liked.  The idea of an old looking stove that was totally functional to todays needs and that vent hood matches?  I love it.  But these stoves are EXPENSIVE!! They are also really hard to find.  


I like the look of this kitchen and especially the butcher block island.  It also has a lovely early stove, but too small for my over the top imagination.

This is a delicious kitchen stove too and that hood is just perfect.  I start to see what I'm being drawn to.


This kitchen is keeping more in the Victorian style with a later 1920s stove. Close, but not quite what I see


Swoon! This makes my heart love.  I believe this is from the Magic Chef mansion in St. Louis.  A 6 burner stove, 2 ovens with a warming oven, broiler and storage drawer.. It has all you want.


This also has a nice period feel but more country like.  I love the ironstone because I have a big collection of it that I will have in my new kitchen someday.


This to me feels like a perfect Victorian kitchen with a later stove.  Love the wainscoting and I have indications that my kitchen did have some of this originally.  


This is obviously a very modern kitchen with an old stove.  I do love that blue tile behind the stove. 


Hard to see, but I found this image on Facebook one day and fell in love with the stove and had to find out what type it was. 

SWOON! Oh look at this beauty! I love everything about it! The legs, the color, but am I just being dramatic in the fact that I am disappointed that it doesn't have a storage drawer?  Sure 6 burners, 2 ovens, a warming drawer and a broiler are nice, but where do I put my cast iron pans?  Plus this one restored was asking over $10,000.  Geeze, maybe if I win the lottery.  

A Similar strove as before but again no storage drawer and if I'm going to make one more complaint, I have my old kitchen chimney on the left, meaning i think I want the taller part to go next to the chimney.  Sounds good and easy right?  Well from my research I find that very few were made with left stacks, more were made with right stacks.  So let's just make this even harder Matt.

I would KILL for the this refrigerator and for the space to put it in. I love nearly everything about it.

BUT I THEN FOUND A KITCHEN THAT IS NOT EXACTLY MY INITIAL STYLE I WOULD BE DRAWN TO AND I DECIDED MAYBE THIS SHOULD BE MY INSPIRATION KITCHEN


I actually love this green kitchen.  Funny because the house is green, everything is green in this damn house, but if you asked me if I liked the color green I would shrug.  I would say my favorite color is something else, so what about green is my house and me drawn to?  

Look at this set up!  6 Burners, 2 ovens, broiler, warming drawer and storage drawer and oh yeah it has a left stack.  I loved everything about this picture.  Even the Ikea style cabinets I don't hate.  The floor and tilework.  It's not Victorian clearly, but a nice late 1920s/ early 1930s kitchen and I thought.. yeah I could live with this.  BUT this stove is probably one of a kind and I'll never find one like it.  Surly not one with a left stack and that I can afford.  It all seemed too far out of reach....BUT......................................................... My obsessive searches and one day Ebay popped up a very similar stove... but in California.  Being in Minnesota  that's no short drive.  I dreamed that I could have this stove, but just couldn't think of a way to make it work.   MONTHS went by and I decided to throw out a low offer for the stove just for fun AND THE SELLER ACCEPTED!!! OMG.!! So now how in the heck so I get an 800 pound stove from CA TO MN AND I am still perhaps 10,000 years away from doing my kitchen...BUT THESE STOVES DON'T COME UP!! So here are my pictures of my stove I have bought sight unseen that as I write this, is being transported across the USA to the star of the north state.






NOT ONLY HAD I BOUGHT THIS STOVE BUT IT HAS ALREADY BEEN RESTORED AND IS TOTALLY FUNCTIONAL!!!  I cannot believe I have done this!

Here is a historic image of the stove, although slightly different.  This image included a vertical broiler along with the horizontal broiler.  sigh ok I guess I can live with only one broiler.  The stove is made by Wedgewood and is a really lovely late 1920s early 1930s stove.  Top of the line really and a massive piece. I mean every single person needs a stove like this right?  So now that I'll have the beauty in a few days I HOPE it forces me to get going closer to the kitchen to get this beast in.  All I know is that I am crazy.  This seems to be my motive in this old house.  I find 1 piece for the room or have 1 idea and I build a whole room around it.  It seems my kitchen will be no different.  Please pray for my intervention as I am an antique-aholic.










Comments

  1. Hello Matt, Congratulations on getting just what you wanted after a concentrated search. Can you share with us the shipping cost, in case any of are tempted to commit to anything as rash? I have bought a number of pieces for which the shipping cost greatly exceeded the purchase price, but nothing as massive as this stove. Are you going to look now for other green vintage kitchen accessories? There is a lot of cool jade glass and green wood-handled items out there that would match. Or is that enough green for you?
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jim. I used uship which I have used many times. I have used them cost effectively for some big pieces like my over mantle mirror from Philadelphia to MN. This was a bit more expensive because it was located in Palm Springs which I found was slightly more expensive than had it been in Los Angles. The cost was around $2,000 which is a lot! I did decided it was an ok price because it is coming in a short time and thr cost of thr stove was cheap, so it worked for my costs. I've seen these stoves retail for over $10,000 when fully restored so I thought it was a good deal.

      And YES I will have to find some jadeite to do too. I have my great aunts mixmaster which is green and several jadeite nesting bowls. A few other pieces here and there. I have to be careful because when I collect something I go all out. I'm still undecided right now if I would do white cabinets like the ones in the inspiration photo. I had always envisioned classic salvage natural finish cabinets in thr kitchen, but now with the photo, I do really like white.... but they are IKEA which I try to stray away from in my house. I still have 10,000 years to decide but I'm thinking right now I will lean more towards 1920s style with a few victorian elements. I'll have my annunciator box there which is natural wood and a big hutch that is currently in the dining room (not original to the house) which is also natural wood. Hmm. Would never want to paint them but not sure if I want the full kitchen. So definitely some Jadite . I guess I will let my eye follow whatever I'm drawn to.

      Delete
  2. Have you covered any mansion restorations on the blog? Whether local or national? Like the Armstrong Kessler, or James Scott, Oscar Mayer mansions? We've lost a lot but it seems like people are still restoring places. My neighbors near 13th ave s and 27th have been doing lots of work on their old house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't specifically covered anyone else's restoration. I have touched on the James Scott mansion (and helped save a special piece of it) and next time I am in that area I hope to visit the mansion myself. Countless other grand estates have been restored but many, many more have been and continue to be destroyed. USA really fails in many ways for preservation of our historic resources. Some cities are better than others of course, but on a whole we really don't have strong enough preservation protections or funding in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. I found this talk about the Cross House of KS to be fascinating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLS2iiSdEB8

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a BIG fan of Ross and his restoration. He is much better than I on updating his blog and detailing his journey. I absolutely encourage anyone who hasn't checked out his blog to visit it at: https://www.restoringross.com/

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts