1/2 of my speaking tube works again!

One more small project I have completed is to hook up part of the speaking tube system.  I had to open up a wall on the second floor and while it was open I decided it was the perfect time to install one of the speaking tube mouthpieces and try to see if it works.  I never knew the house had speaking tubes until I discovered two small clues. The first clue was the strange galvanized tube that was in the ceiling in the library.  It didn't go anywhere, just had an end in the library and the other end stopped in the ceiling above the kitchen.  I had no idea what this strange tube was for until I discovered this newspaper ad:

Then it clicked that I had speaking tubes.  I spent YEARS searching for mouthpieces and only found evidence of one system, going from the kitchen to the 2nd floor hallway.  All that was left was the galvanized tube in the ceiling, so I would have to connect it up in the walls and into the old system (provided it was still working)


So all I did was get some 3/4" copper pipes and stick it into the old system and with a few elbows and such I ran new copper pipe up in the wall to the 2nd floor for the mouthpiece. 


After getting this piece installed I was going to have to test if even the old tube worked to hold the sound or air to get the other end to whistle.  Since the other end was buried up in the ceiling above where the kitchen is I found the end and rigged up some copper pipe and put the other end of the speaking tube on, just to test.  It's about 11 feet up in the air so to get up to that part I have to reach above the yet to be gutted kitchen and stand on a ladder to try it out.

rigging up the old system to just test  it

As I stand on the ladder with baited breath I open the mouthpiece and blow through.  I HEAR THE OTHER END WHISTLE UPSTAIRS!!!!!! My friend opens the other end and we have a conversation.  The old 130 year old system still works and wasn't clogged! I couldn't believe it!  It is so cool I am freaking out. 
 
So I at least have 1/2 the system up and running.  This end will have to be done when the kitchen is done which should be (at this rate).......when I'm about 125 years old.  At least when I am that old I can call the workers from the upstairs to make sure they are doing just what they should be.

Comments

  1. Hello Matt, Your downstairs is getting to look pretty impressive. Your resuscitation of the old speaker-tube system is likewise amazing. Now I am waiting to see how you will recreate the Victorian house-staff as a do-it-yourself project--that should be really remarkable!
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim are you volunteering to answer those late night calls for a sandwich and dust? Really if push came to shove I just need help dusting and polishing the wood. I haven't done the servant bedroom yet, but you say the word and I can have it ready for you in no time :)

      Delete
    2. Hi again, You should see my place first--I guarantee you won't be requiring my services for dusting and polishing!

      Delete
    3. I was really happy to find this blog post. During our kitchen remodel last year we found that the home had an old speaking tube system that was disconnected some time ago. We will have to reconnect it in the attic (tubes were cut and some flattened as they ran along the wood floor, and an air handler was placed right where one of the tubes originally ran). We'll get it hooked up soon. But, I DID find two really nice brass and nickel plated mouthpieces on ebay this year. I thought I'd never find any, but they just showed up. (expensive!). I attached one of them to the elbow coming through the wall and it fit into the tub opening perfectly. I used plaster of paris spread around the outside of the base of the mouthpiece where it fit in, and not it is firmly in the wall. I'd be curious to hear what you used to install yours. I wanted it to be removable if needed, and in the past I have used plaster to remount old brass kerosente lamp collars onto the glass base. I figured it would work here also. Thanks for your blog.

      Delete
    4. Hi Mike. I actually haven't attached mine. They just "rest" on the drywall and stay fitted tightly into the actual tube. So for me so far that seems to work fine for me. I like the idea of using some plaster to attach as it is easy to remove if necessary. I might just try that. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  2. This is sooo fuunnn! Glad you're back to work on the house!!
    Éric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eric. I spend so much time often doing the work that updating the blog often gets put on the back burner. As I am sure you know, so many years of work behind the scenes before the pretty wallpaper and furnishings get put in.

      Delete
  3. I am jealous!

    Now you have inspired me to get my speaking tubes back in working order! After a four year search, I now have all the missing mouthpieces!

    Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! This is very inspiring! I have just bought a house that has the speaking tube system pretty much in tact, but it's missing one mouthpiece. Where can I find one?

    I also know the history of my house and have gotten in touch with the grandchild of the folks that had it built. It seems they must have talked folks into getting these even when they never had servants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The speaking tubes are a fun little toy or a modern convenience when these houses were built. It makes sense to use rather than screaming upstairs to grab this or that. I wish I had an easy answer for you on where to find more. They are very, very rare to find. I have found most of mine on Ebay and even then it took a good 4 or 5 years. My best advice to you is to keep on the lookout for them on ebay and be in for the long haul cause they aren't easy. Usually the mouthpieces run $100- $150 when they do come up each. Not cheap but fun to have.

      Delete
    2. I am also searching for a missing mouthpiece for a 1921 upstairs unit in a fourplex in Anaheim CA. At least I have one remaining mouthpiece for a match to the missing one. I check online from time to time and in architectural salvage stores, but so far, no luck. I also tried emailing mastermetalman.com for information in making a replacement, but it appears the email is either bad or not in use anymore. Anyone have a contact for someone who could make a mouth place replacement?

      Delete
    3. We too are working on our old speaking tube system that we discovered when we were remodeling our kitchen. I found one english wood (lignum vitae) one complete a couple of months ago, and just found a brass and nickel plated one both on ebay. Expensive! We have yet to connect the tube (it was cut in the attic) but at least we can complete the kitchen tube and mouthpiece for now. The mouthpieces are hard to find!

      Delete
    4. Congrats on finding the mouthpieces! they are hard to find but a fun toy when put back into the house.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts