Putting Parlor Together & Feedback Needed!

Well I hope that all my readers had a wonderful holiday and new year celebration.  I haven't had much time to do much work around the house but have been slowly putting the parlor back together.  I put a coat of stain and varnish on all the woodwork to give it a fresh clean shine.  I also have put up some salvage trim for the pocket doors which still needs to be sanded and stained.  I also cut a new baseboard to match the existing and did my very best to stain it to match the old, but as any can testify it is a difficult process. I actually created my own stain by mixing a few together and then staining it with another color after the initial color treatment. I think it turned out pretty good. So in the next few days I hope to complete the finishing of the woodwork in here and get onto wallpaper and such.  Here are some photos:
 Fireplace cleaned up a bit. Now to sweep that dust off the hearth.
 Pocket doors still holding! My cure with JB Weld to hold the broken bit failed.  I had to take it to a welder who charged me $10.00 to fix.
I think it matched pretty well.  Of course new lumber the grain is not as tight as the old but still color wise turned out pretty good.



I also NEED your input.  I found a man who does beautiful wood carvings and had him turn me a finial that I will use on the newel posts.  Only problem is I can't decide which looks better, scale wise.  Their height difference is only 2 inches but their diameter is a little bit thicker.  I would LOVE if some people would give me their input as to which size looks better.  Do you think the smaller one is undersized or perfect? Give me your feedback!!!

                                            Larger one
                                       Smaller One
                                            Smaller one above
                                       Larger one above.

What are your thoughts?


If you like what you read and want to see this blog and projects keep going PLEASE feel free to donate something, even if it's only a little bit.  Every little bit helps on this restoration project. Thanks again!




Comments

  1. I think the proportion of the larger one is better.. The smaller one seems almost dainty compared to the original woodwork. You have a beautiful house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily. Thanks for your input.I think you're right I just didn't want it to look too over the top but I think the scale works. Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. I agree, the larger one looks better! (I just found this blog, it's wonderful!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input and glad you enjoy Sara!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts