Treasures in the Walls.

During the gutting of walls and ceilings little things are bound to have fallen in and been forgotten for many years. When you start a renovation on an old house it's almost as if it's an archaeological site where you never know what you will find, and what you do find can tell you a great deal of information. I think in my house the greatest bulk of the items found came when I tore out the ceiling on the 2nd floor to the attic. As you can imagine many things got lost in that big old attic and were never though of again, until I opened them up. Along with all the wonderful treasures was 120 years of dust, dirt and grime. I cannot tell you how many times my dad and I were covered in such think dust and dirt that our skin looked black and even though we wore masks the stuff still irritated us a bit. Nonetheless the majority of this is done. Only a little bit more to gut and since it is on the 1st floor it's much less dirty. So I have been saving pretty much everything that has fallen out of the ceilings and I thought I would show a few.

Here is pretty much everything I have found in the walls.  Looks like a lot of junk until you look closer...

 A Halloween Party Invite to Julia Geusch

"Halloween has arrived once again.  Let us gather to make a scare.  Sat Eve Oct 20th 1909 at 707 Bedford to have a good time"

"Please Bring Olives"

 Newspapers from 1903
 Wallpaper types found throughout the house
 Beer Bottles, Victorian girls boot, tin covers, drawer pulls, sewing needles, tobacco tins, christmas tree candle holders, an empty purse.
 Smokes
A few photos, sadly none of this house. I think I will get the negatives developed, while they may not be my house perhaps they were shot elsewhere in the neighborhood?

 Mini mirror/ advertising item
 Chocolate X lax
 Postcard of National Vandeville Artists Inc 229 West 16th Street , New York City
 The back says " Mr. Milo Neely postmarked 1922.  Dear Papa, Received your letter and I am sure glad you are feeling better again and  hope you continue so. I am feeling fine.  With Love (can't read the daughter's name) Starts with B
Old Bill for Coal.

So you never know what you will find.  These clues can give you names of old occupants, little glimpses into the history of the house and just fun to feel like you're on a treasure hunt.  So when gutting your home do it carefully and you will be rewarded.



If you like what you read and want to see this blog and projects keep going PLEASE feel free to donate something, even if it's only a little bit.  Every little bit helps on this restoration project. Thanks again!





If you like what you read and want to see this blog and projects keep going PLEASE feel free to donate something, even if it's only a little bit.  Every little bit helps on this restoration project. Thanks again!




Comments

  1. The shoe may actually have been put in the walls for good luck/scare away spirits! (It may just have been lost but! who knows!) http://vivaciousvictorian.com/2014/05/18/finding-the-shoe-a-historic-history-lesson/ (which is a blog you should know about if you don't already!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erin. I had NEVER heard that. How cool! Thank you for sharing the blog too as I hadn't heard of it. I might just have to put the shoe back just in case.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts