Regression of Minneapolis

I often find my eye catching projects in Minneapolis that make me rather sad at the lack of preservation efforts in Minneapolis.  There are, of course some beautiful restored buildings and structures throughout the city, but too often I sense there isn't as much importance placed on historic architecture of Minneapolis then there is in St. Paul.   Maybe I'm biased.  I'm not suggesting that every old building be saved and restored, that's not useful and we must weave preservation with progress, but there has to be a limit.  Removing a bay window here or a chimney there erodes the fabric that makes up this city as a whole.  Who are we to destroy something that has been fine and intact for 100+ years?  We are just a speck in the time such buildings have stood and yet we think we can do as we please.  Often we do not think of what these actions can mean to future generations or preservation efforts.

I am too often disheartened by the lack of compassion for preservation here.  I sometimes feel what is the point of fighting a battle that so few care to bat an eyelash to.  I can only do what I can to restore a building and document the changes that I notice.  Hopefully future generations will find some of this information useful.  If I had an unlimited budget I would restore countless, important structures in the cities, but sadly I cannot.  Preservation should be praised and considered as the very first step to revitalize a building.  Our structures of this century cannot even compare to what was built even 50 years ago.  We have turned into a disposable society where buildings are built and torn down in a lifetime.  We have mass produced houses like a xerox machine has gone into hyper mode and didn't know where to stop.  We build commercial buildings with plain, unadorned facades of boring brick.  No details, no identity, but boxes made out of cement and steel with the personality of a Jersey Shore cast member.  Where will preservation be in 50 years? Will it even be here? I can only hope that my those who fight for preservation will have their work honored, respected and cherished in the future.  Otherwise we condemn ourselves to plain, mass conformity

Beautiful 1880s building that retained so much character, until recently.

.

It's nice they put the arched windows in but they completely removed the bay windows and put in these very poor substitutes.  With all the money they spent on these new windows why not restore the old ones? Would have saved cash, but sadly people often think new is easier.


This house doesn't look like much.  A early 1900s - maybe 1920s home in the uptown area.  It still held some interesting details and was still structurally sound and nice looking.


Now just an empty lot waiting for some modern home to stick out like a sore thumb in a neighborhood of classic buildings.


If you like what you read and want to see this blog and projects keep going PLEASE feel free to donate something, even if it's only a little bit.  Every little bit helps on this restoration project. Thanks again!




Comments

Popular Posts