Coming out of the closet!

Hello Friends,

Well I have been plugging away at the house this long winter season.  Spring is approaching us in Minnesota and soon I will begin a few outdoor projects.  During this winter however, I did spend a great deal of time completing the closet under the stairs. I guess when you spend too much time working in the closet this is what happens.  A probably over thought utilitarian space.  Other that the walls and the ceiling, this space was bare down to the lathe.  After drywalling the room and replicating trim to match the original it was quite a dedication for a space that one probably won't pay much attention to.









I next wallpapered the closet because I wanted that old time feeling.  I know the wallpaper is quite old fashioned, but I think it fits in perfect for a closet and I love it.  I also used shellac on the floor to retain the old, unfinished color.  I also built a shelving unit with a dowel to hand my coats, and bought some old coat rack hooks and placed them on a piece of wood, painted to match the other painted trim in the closet.





The space wouldn't be complete with an old light fixture and Edison bulb right?




And now filled with all my junk, but nicely organized.  Funny how happy a finished closet space feels after not using it for so long.






I also stained and shellac finished the door and trim.  I placed an old mortise lock I bought and used hardware that I had from the house.  Not exactly a matching set, but it didn't really bother me, because it's period, it fits, I'm happy.

So with this project done, onto the next.  Working on the vestibule now and soon to be done I hope! Until next time!

If you like what you read on my blog and would like to contribute to the house restoration please click the donate button below. All donations will be GREATLY appreciated!! You will also be publicly thanked if you wish on a contributes page I hope to add at some point in the future. 




Comments

  1. Looks FABULOUS!

    I love the tiny door! Was it there originally? Or did you salvage it?

    LOVE the wallpaper! Delicious, and just perfect for a closet as it comes as a surprise!

    Congrats!!!!!

    Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross! Good to hear from you. There was a tiny door here originally. The original door was missing when I got the house. This door is salvaged and is slightly shorter and wider than the original, but pretty darn close. Although being over 6 feet tall, I have to watch out for my hear, since the frame is only 5 feet. Glad you liked my "grandma" wallpaper...

      Delete
  2. ...by the way, it took SEVEN tries before my above comment finally published.

    How many comments are you losing??????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seven tries? That is absurd! Wonder if I should consider switching my platform from Blogger? What do you use and are you happy with how yours has been functioning?

      Delete
    2. I use a WordPress platform. Effortless.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! I love the finished closet so much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts